1.pg. 10-”So she went on thinking back on her young years and explain them to her friend in soft, easy phrases while all around the house, the night time put on a flesh of blackness.”- Janie explains her story to her friend as the evening progresses.
2. pg. 11- “She saw the dust-bearing bee sink into the sanctum of a bloom; ecstatic shiver of the tree from root to tiniest branch of creaming in every blossom and frothing with delight.” –Janie is delighted to see a bee pollinating a new blossom.
3. pg. 12- “That was before the golden dust of pollen had beglamored his rags and her eyes.”- Johnny Taylor wore rags, but the happy, springtime mood that Janie was in made her more attracted to him.
4. pg. 25 “She knew the world was a stallion rolling in the blue pasture of ether.” Janie recognizes that the world acts dynamic and wild as it revolves within space, floating on air.
5. pg. 25 “She knew that God tore down the old world every evening and built a new one by sun-up.” – Janie realizes that every day is a new day and a chance to start over.
6. pg. 27 “It was a citified, stylish man with his hat set at an angle that didn’t belong in these parts…The shirt with the silk sleeveholders was dazzling enough for the world. He whistled, mopped his face and walked like he knew where he was going. He was a seal-brown color…” –Joe Starks is a suave man who is unfit for Janie’s ragged old town.
7. pg 27 “The noon sun filtered through the leaves of the fine oak tree where she sat and made lacy patterns on the ground.” Janie mindlessly scribbled on the ground because she was bored in the middle of the day.
8. pg 34 “Joe noted the scant dozen of shame-faced houses scattered in the sand and palmetto roots…” –Joe is disappointed in the look of the all black town.
9. pg. 72 “But looking at it she saw that it never was the flesh and blood of figure of her dreams. Just something she had grabbed up to drape her dreams over.” –Joe was not the man of her dreams, he is just something to use in a temporary place of her dreams.
10. pg. 72 “…he slapped Janie until she had a ringing sound in her ears and told her about her brains before he stalked on back to the store.” – Jody’s beating really affected Janie’s emotions and physical being.
image from: http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/050308/152238__eyes_l.jpg